Total Pageviews

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"Do you have the right to flip off a cop?"

This short article from Time Magazine's website explores this question.  Before you read think about whether you feel this sort of speech should be punishable or protected.  Then give it a read and respond!

3 comments:

  1. Everyone has the right to curse and yell and give the finger to anyone they want. This does not mean they should however, especially to someone who earns everyone's respect through his/her job. I think it would br right of the cop to stop and have a chat with the fellow but i think that lagal action can not be taken when we have free speech and the such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that you should be taken to court or anything like that for flipping off an officer, but i don't think you really should flip them off. I get that everybody has that moment when driving that you get pissed off but still the officers are trying to do their job too. On the other hand i think that sometimes the officers need to remember that sometimes people are just having a horrible day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that you do not have the right to flip off a cop because it is a rude gesture. Also, they have a higher athority over a citizen. It was ok for the cop to turn around and arrest the man because the state's disorderly conduct law bans obscene language and gestures.

    ReplyDelete