Total Pageviews

Friday, December 18, 2009

New Abortion Law

This article details an Oklahoma bill which would significantly alter the process for obtaining an abortion in Oklahoma.  Some say it is illegally intrusive, others that it is a useful information gathering tool.  Read the article and discuss your thoughts: is it a good idea?  why or why not?  Is it illegally/unconstitutionally intrusive? 

Keep comments appropriate

6 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea because if anyone can look at this website it might help someone who is pregnant and considering an abortion and prevent them with going through on it. I don't think it's intrusive at all because the patients name is kept confidential so unless someone knew everything about that person is the only way they would ever know woh it was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not quite sure i understand the article, there is a law in Oklahoma that makes women fill out this questionair and they put a restraing order on it? If thats right, which i don't think it is, i would disagree with getting rid of that law. I like the idea of having a mother-to-be a little more informed of what their options are going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The law itself requires answering a bunch of questions, some of them personal, for anyone obtaining an abortion. these survey results would then be compiled and posted online, available to any considering an abortion, or perhaps just curious about aboriton stas ion Oklahoma. the restraining order sought and received by opponents of the law keeps doctors form collecting/posting the information, which the opponents say is overly intrusive and an unreasonable hurdle for those seeking an abortion. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm kind of torn between on whether i agree with this or not. In a way i feel like it is a big violation of the woman's privacy because its such a personal thing to deal with and then have it published online for everyone to see. Even though it wouldn't have her name on it, she and anyone she told, would still know that was her information out there. Although I think that as long as it didn't have her name or anything that it would be a good thing like it said other women could get more information and it would help them make a decision. If they did I think that maybe they shouldn't even have them fill out their name, address, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that if a woman has an abortion, they shouldn't have to fill out a questionnare about their personal life. But, I do not believe that asking simple little questions would be classified as "an invasion of privacy," because any place you go nowadays, you'll probably have to fill one out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe that the woman recieving the abortion should have to fill out the questionnare because it may make her think twice about getting an abortion. It may make the woman think about the alternatives besides abortion, such as adoption.

    ReplyDelete